Resident Care Coordinator
- Schofield is actively seeking an experienced and skilled Resident Care Coordinator to work in our Nursing Home Facility. The typical shift will be Full Time, 5 days a week 2nd shift
Why consider Schofield for employment?
- We are dedicated to providing a team oriented environment with long term career advancement and opportunities
- Our mission and philosophy center around our outstanding patient and resident care.
- Schofield Care is ranked 4 out of 5 stars by the Federal Government and is ranked as being one of the most experienced and respected providers of home and long term care health care services in Western New York.
- You will become apart of a passionate and caring team dedicated to making a difference in someone's life all while building your own career through top level expertise and experience.
- We offer an environment that is equipped to allow our staff to provide the highest level of professional care.
The Resident Care Coordinator is an active member of the nursing management team. This position is responsible for monitoring facility wound initiatives/program, coordinating/processing all admissions arriving after 3 p.m., supervising the nursing department and preparing to discharge residents.
- Education and Training - Current New York State Professional Nurse Registration, preferably a B.S. in Nursing. Current cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification issued by either the American Heart Association or the American Red Cross. Interest in developing nursing and management abilities and furthering education in these areas through membership in professional organizations and/or participation in workshops and seminars.
- Experience - Previous experience as a supervisor or head nurse in long term care and familiarity with wound care practices and protocol.
- Character - Must possess good moral character, compassion for the elderly, have ability to manage licensed and allied nursing personnel, and create/maintain good staff relationships; must maintain all information in the strictest of confidence.
- Interpersonal skills - must possess the ability to communicate in a calm, non-threatening manner with residents, families, volunteers multidisciplinary team and co-workers. Is anadvocate for the Schofield Residence, its purposes, goals and policies.
Essential Job Functions
- Comprehensively assess residents' care needs, establish goals and protocols for care; to communicate effectively with caregivers on all shifts; to instruct and provide guidance with care protocols; to provide coordination of interdisciplinary care planning.
- Must be willing and able to perform basic life support (BLS) at all times, including CPR, the Heimlich maneuver and rescue breathing.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
The Resident Care Coordinator is responsible to the Director and Assistant Director of Nursing and Resident Care Services, but works in conjunction with the ADON and Certified Wound Care Nurse. The job duties and responsibilities are to be performed while observing the following standards: job standard (knowledge, ability, skills), technical skill, quality, quantity, judgement/problem solving, decision making, and initiative. The responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Monitors and tracks all wound assessments, staging, and protocols as ordered by both attending and consulting physicians under the direction of the ADON/Unit Coordinator and Consulting with the Certified Wound Care Nurse as needed.
- Oversees and assists in care plan initiatives developed by the interdisciplinary team as it relates to wound care issues.
- Oversees wound care documentation for accuracy and provides training, if necessary, in conjunction with the ADON, and consulting as needed with the Certified Wound Care Nurse.
- Processes all afternoon admissions and discharges to the facility.
- Effectively interview the resident/responsible party to obtain information required for developing and implementing a plan of care. Demonstrate ability to perform physical assessment through observation, inspection, palpation, percussion and auscultation.
- Completes all admission forms, physician orders, interim care plan and interim door card.
- Reviews discharge instructions, home medication regime, and follow up appointments with resident/ and or responsible party and any other required educational information related to the resident.
- Provides supervision for Nursing Department in the absence of the Director and Assistant Director of Nursing and covers staff call-offs as necessary.
- Perform other related duties as required by their manager
- Skin Management Program
Responsible for the completion and oversight of the weekly skin assessments in coordination with the ADON and Unit Coordinators.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in all department meetings, mandated inservices, and assigned committees.
- Maintain a positive and professional relationship with residents, family members, legal representatives and visitors.
- Maintain a positive and professional relationship with all personnel, including supervisors, co-workers and volunteers.
- Follow all safety regulations and precautions at all times; use protective devices as required.
- Wear and maintain proper uniform/clothing as established in the uniform dress code policy, including name tag identification. Maintain acceptable personal hygiene.
- Maintain confidentiality and resident/patient rights.
- Maintain confidentiality of all issues and subject matters, including records, reports, data and other related sensitive materials.
- Maintain an acceptable attendance rate.
- Follow all laws, rules and regulations of the Federal and NYS Health Codes in regard to the department and overall organization operations.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan, develop, organize, implement and evaluate the department’s work as appropriate.
- Delegate authority, responsibility, and accountability to other responsible department personnel.
- Provide leadership by being an appropriate role model to others.
- Advocate the purposes, goals and policies of the Schofield Residence and affiliate organizations.
- Provide departmental personnel with ongoing feedback, including timely evaluations of staff, counseling of employees and taking disciplinary action when necessary.
- Provide effective supervision, ensuring all staff abides by all government laws, rules and regulations that affect patients, families, coworkers and volunteers of the Schofield Residence and affiliate organizations.
- Use any resources available to create ideas, programs or more effective practices that will benefit the organization, department and/or staff.
Goal Setting and Management Objectives
- Attain a deficiency free NYS Department of Health survey and/or federal survey, and if required, resolve any deficiencies in a timely and effective manner.
- Work with residents/registrants/patients, families, and legal representatives to ensure that substantiated complaints are resolved in a timely and effective manner.
- Accomplish fiscal results within established department budget for the most recent fiscal year.
- Make and recommend timely budgetary adjustments as indicated, by analysis of the monthly budget and payroll hours, for the most recent fiscal year.
- Establish and complete all departmental performance goals.
- Establish and complete all individual performance goals.
The Resident Care Coordinator is subject to inside environmental conditions and protection from weather conditions. May also be exposed to odors, fumes or mists from medications. Performs duties throughout the resident areas. Hours of work may be flexible, but it is expected that the employee will work at least 37.5 hours per week. Rotational on-call responsibilities apply.
- Exposure to Blood and Airborne Pathogens
This position has been categorized into Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) Category 1: routine contact with blood/body fluids of persons living or non-living. Contact can be made while performing personal care; handling regulated medical waste and in clean up of spills and other blood/body fluid accidents. Protective equipment should be utilized when performing these tasks.
The Schofield Residence provides excellent wages and benefits including but not limited to:
- Medical Insurance
- Pre-tax Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401(k) employer matching program
- 403(b) Tax Shelter Annuity
- Extensive Paid Time Off
- Voluntary insurance programs